Any suicidal thought is a risk. Help is always available. HealthWest's 24/7 crisis line is (231) 722-HELP. Anyone with a mental health concern can also walk into our offices at 376 E. Apple Ave., during business hours for an assessment. If there is an immediate fear of death or injury, please call 911.

Suicide Prevention Lifeline:
(800) 273-TALK (8255)

Crisis Text Line:
Text Home to 741741

Nacional de Prevención del Suicidio
(888) 628-9454

LGBTQ Youth Hotline
(866) 488-7386

Suicide Hotline for Deaf & Hard of Hearing
(800) 799-4889



What do “Serious Mental Illness” and “Serious Emotional Disturbance” mean? Adults with a serious mental illness are persons: (1) age 18 and over, (2) who currently or at any time during the past year, (3) have a diagnosable mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder of sufficient duration to meet diagnostic criteria specified within the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders that has resulted in functional impairment which substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities…All of these disorders have episodic, recurrent, or persistent features; however, they vary in terms of severity and disabling effects. While the definition of SMI is specific to adults, there is an analogous definition of “serious emotional disturbance” (SED) for children.



Do you have Substance Use Disorder services? Individuals open to services at HealthWest have opportunities for involvement in our substance use services within our agency. For more than 15 years various staff members who have chemical dependency training and licensure have assisted clients/those receiving services at HealthWest to recover from substance use concerns. For people who have a substance use concern but who do not qualify for HealthWest services and who are seeking outpatient services, residential, or sub-acute detox services can present directly at any outpatient provider in the Lakeshore Regional Partner network. Designated Entry providers will conduct pre-screening to determine eligibility for funded services. If eligible for services , a full assessment will be completed and recommendations for providers to meet their service needs will be provided.


Designated Entry Provider for adolescents: Wedgewood (616) 942.7294.

Designated Entry Provider for adults: Mercy Life Counseling (231) 726-3582 or West Michigan Therapy (231) 728-2138



How do I access services at HealthWest? You may contact our Access Center at 231-720-3200. The staff will ask you a series of questions to help you determine if you qualify for services; if not, they will help you determine the most appropriate services available in the community. Learn more about eligibility & referral.



How much will it cost me and what types of insurance do you accept? We accept Medicaid and some types of insurance. If you do not have insurance we can help you fill out a Medicaid application. Payment for services are based on your ability to pay, which is determined at your first appointment. Learn more about insurance.



What do I do if I need transportation to get to HealthWest? If you think you may need assistance with transportation, be sure to inform the Access staff person when you arrange for your first appointment. Our staff is aware of resources in the community that may assist to get a ride to your first appointment.



What is Self Determination? Self Determination is an option allowing you to have personal control over the funds that provide the Medicaid services and supports you receive from HealthWest that are determined to be medically necessary.



What is recipient rights? The Recipient Rights Office is a resource for recipients, staff, and service providers of HealthWest. The Recipient Rights Office investigates allegations of abuse, neglect and other rights violations as identified in the Michigan Mental Health Code.



How do I refer someone to HealthWest? We accept referrals from a variety of resources including schools, doctor offices, and mental health professionals. Concerned family or friends may call to inquire about services, but anyone over the age of 18 who serves as their own guardian will have to call to make their own referral. Parents or legal guardians can make referrals for anyone under the age of 18.



Where are you located? We have several locations, each offering specific services. See the Contact page for more information.