Any suicidal thought is a risk. Help is always available. HealthWest's 24/7 crisis line is (231) 722-HELP. Anyone with a mental health concern can also walk into our offices at 376 E. Apple Ave., during business hours for an assessment. If there is an immediate fear of death or injury, please call 911.

Suicide Prevention Lifeline:
(800) 273-TALK (8255)

Crisis Text Line:
Text Home to 741741

Nacional de Prevención del Suicidio
(888) 628-9454

LGBTQ Youth Hotline
(866) 488-7386

Suicide Hotline for Deaf & Hard of Hearing
(800) 799-4889

Contact Us

The HealthWest Customer Services department is dedicated to providing a positive and welcoming experience for anyone who enters our doors. We provide information, resources, and involvement opportunities for not only for the individuals we serve but for our whole community.

More importantly we are here to assist people with their Medicaid benefit as it relates to services.

Contact: (231) 720-3201 or

For grievances and appeals, you can also contact HealthWest’s Customer Services or call LRE Customer Services at 800-897-3301.


Grievances and Appeals

HealthWest works hard to provide a quick response to concerns and issues.  If you have a concern or issue you would like to have addressed please contact the Customer Services Department at (231) 720-3201 or

There are a couple of ways to seek answers to a concern or complaint that you have.  There is Grievance and/or an Appeal.  (Local Appeal and A Medicaid Fair Hearing).


What is a Grievance?


You have the right to say that you are unhappy with your services, supports, or the staff who are working with you by filing a “grievance”. You can file a grievance any time by calling Customer Services at 231-720-3201 or Beacon/Lakeshore Regional Entity Customer Services Department at (800) 897-3301. There is no statute of limitations on a complaint/grievance.  Customer Services can also explain how to get assistance with filing a grievance.   Your worker at HealthWest should also be able to give you information about filing a grievance.


What is an Appeal?


When you request services and they are denied or your current services are changed or stopped and you disagree with this, you can appeal this decision.  You will always be informed in writing about your right to appeal.

You must:

First file a “Local Appeal” by contacting the Beacon/Lakeshore Regional Entity Customer Services Department at (800) 897-3301.  You or a representative for you will have the opportunity to give information about why the change in your services or denial of services should not have happened.  A decision on your local appeal will be answered within a specific time frame.

If the decision on your “Local Appeal” is not satisfactory to you, you can then appeal to the “Medicaid Fair Hearing System”.  This is a “State appeal”.

If you have Medicaid; you must ask for a “Local Appeal” before moving on to a “State Appeal”.  Your appeal will be completed in a timely manner and you will have the chance to provide information or have someone speak for you regarding the appeal. You may ask for assistance from local advocacy organizations to file an appeal.  HealthWest’s and Beacon/Lakeshore Regional Entity’s Customer Services Department are also here to assist you through the appeal process and can answer questions.

You may contact the Customer Services Department regarding the following:

  • Questions about CMH services
  • Inquiries about current services
  • Concerns about current services
  • Concerns about past issues with services
  • Information on due process rights including how to file a grievance or appeal