"Can't" Isn't A Part Of Our Vocabulary
Developmental Disability Services
Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities
At HealthWest, we provide services for individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities. Services that are deemed medically necessary are provided through a person-centered planning process. Our focus is on helping people achieve their needs and desires for increasing independence and community inclusion. We are committed to helping people with intellectual and developmental disabilities live meaningful lives in their community through quality services, consumer involvement, and community collaboration.
• Assessment and Referrals
• Clinical Services
• Supports Coordination
• Community Employment Services
• Supported Independent Living
• Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Speech Therapy
Eligibility for Care
Eligibility for our developmental disability services and intellectual care is directed through Michigan's Mental Health Code. Eligibility pertains to a person older than five years of age, and with a severe chronic condition that meets all of the following requirements:
- Is attributable to a mental or physical impairment or a combination of mental and physical impairments;
- Is manifested before the individual is 22 years old;
- Is likely to continue indefinitely;
- Results in substantial functional limitations in three or more of the following areas of major life activity: Self-care; Receptive/expressive language; Mobility; Self-direction; Capacity for independent living; Economic self-sufficiency.
- A person must be 18 years of age or older;
- Be a resident of Muskegon County;
- And demonstrate a need for supports coordination and/or other clinical services.
How To Access Services
Adults, Caregivers, or Guardians are encouraged to walk into HealthWest during business hours where a member of the Response and Stabilization team will meet with the individual, complete an assessment and make a referral for services. Those services could be within HealthWest or with one of the various providers with which we contract.
To walk in, visit the HealthWest Main Campus (also known as our Mental Health Center) at 376 E. Apple Ave., Muskegon, MI 49442.
You may also call 231-720-3200.